Thursday, September 11, 2014

School Lockdowns - What Do Teachers Do?

I checked my phone at work tonight and saw that the kid's school called.  This could have either been an automated call -probably about the raffle fundraiser- or a call from the teacher about the behavior mishaps.  On my break I listened to the message and my heart just about fell out of my butt.

Today a man scaled over the fence at my kids school.

My kids were on lock down.  All doors locked.  Lights off.  Children under their desks.

Fortunately, the teachers and staff reacted very quickly and this man never got into the school and no one was hurt.  Two cities sent their police officers to apprehend him.  He was arrested and taken away from the school and the kids went about their day.  I do not know what the man was doing or why he jumped the fence.  Part of me doesn't even want to know.

I don't remember ever having any fear of intruders or weapons in school.  Then Columbine happened.  I graduated from there the year before and had friends and family in the school.  I knew the boys with guns and a good friend was told by the shooter to go home.  I was in shock.  I couldn't believe this happened.

Columbine is a huge reason that so many schools started putting lock downs and drills into place.  I never realized how thankful I was for those drills and plans until today.  As awful as it is that we need to have these kind of actions in place, I appreciate every minute that the school staff has spent planning and training for a moment like today.  Without their efforts, that man could have gotten into the school and harmed the children inside.

We ask our teachers to teach our children from books and about life.  We ask them to spend all day (and a lot of nights) caring for them.  They spend their (underpaid) time and money to do their jobs.

 And now we ask them to stand on the front lines and protect the lives of our offspring.   They usher our children to safety, turn off the lights, and even put their own lives on the line to keep them safe.  We ask so much from them.

Thank you teachers for all that you do.  I know that my cheesy Christmas gifts and the extra supplies that I send during the year will never be enough to repay you for what you do.  I am forever indebted to you and appreciate every second you spend on my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment