Friday, January 29, 2016

Dear Facebook Friends



Dear Facebook Friends,

I want to thank each and every one of you.  If you are on my friends list, there is a reason.  Maybe I see you at work or at occasional get-togethers.  Maybe I only get to see your smiling face in your selfies.  Perhaps we met in high school and reconnected on Facebook.  Maybe we met at work, a bar, a moms group, or a knitting group.  Some of you I have never met in person, but you are family to my friends and you make laugh.  There are also some of my favorite bartenders on my list, or maybe I am yours.  Each and everyone you is a unique story to me and I love that I get to read a little more of it everyday on my "Facebook breaks" - which are commonly in the bathroom at work...in case you wanted to know.

I have tried very hard to keep the constantly negative people away from my Facebook.  I have taken active steps to banish the racist, sexist, and otherwise hurtful people.  It hurt sometimes, but I don't have time for that nonsense.  The friends who have survived this "editing" of my friends list are you.

There is a reason you are there.

I love seeing your selifes, your kids, pets, and even your dinner.  I love to read about your accomplishments, your acts of kindness and charities, and your date nights or fun events.  I smile looking at pictures and videos of cute kiddos and silly pets.  Thank you for updating me on your current illness or surgeries and including me in your remembrance of loved ones who have passed away.  You inspire me with your crafty creations and delicious dinners. I laugh with you when you share funny stories about something that happened to you that day. You talk about your job and it makes me happy to know that you are doing something that you enjoy.  I get to see you talk about the things you are passionate about - animals, education, even breastfeeding support- and I get to see you walk that walk.

Thank you for being Dr. Facebook and giving me advice (without judgement) on many facets of my life.  I appreciate all of your support when it comes to the challenges I've had and still face.  You encourage me and my children and I have learned a lot from you.  Thank you for inspiration when it comes to cooking, crafting, working, parenting, and general adulting.

In this day of modern age and technology we spend a LOT of time of the internet.  While I agree that is good to disconnect and pay attention to life in the moment, I feel that there is a balance.  I use Facebook to get together (in real life!) with the people I love.  Facebook is my village.  It is my little community.   You have all shaped me and my family in some way.

So, thank you for making my day a little brighter.  Thank you for making my "Facebook Break" more enjoyable...although we only have one stall and hopefully no one is waiting outside for the restroom...they may not thank you.

Love,
Lissa

No comments:

Post a Comment