Friday, August 22, 2014

Welcome Butterflies!


For a few years, Athena has been asking if we could buy plants that would attract butterflies. It has been on the to-do list but never came to fruition.  Until the other night.  We had dinner at Gunther Toody's and walked over to JoAnns to get some supplies for my Tim Burton themed craft swap.  In between the two establishments is a Lowe's and outside was a clearance rack filled with ground covers and bushes.  After my citation from the city for the weeds on the side of my house, we have been looking for ways to improve the landscaping around my house.  We decided to purchase a few Blue Juniper bushes for near the stop sign (where the weeds can grow rampant) and went inside to purchase some soil.  As we looked around the store, Athena pointed out every plant that had a butterfly on the tag indicating that it would attract butterflies.  We found some Rudbeckia (Black-Eyed Susan) with beautiful yellow flowers that were on sale 3 for $10.  We picked up three plants and the next evening we replanted them into navy pots that sit outside the house.
We still need to get the weeds killed and the bushes planted.  I had planned that activity for today, but Perry has been attached to my breast and Troy came home sick from school.  Maybe tomorrow when I get off work.

No comments:

Post a Comment