Friday, September 12, 2014

Check Out Her Beautiful Smile: That's What She Said

I am so happy to be apart of the first even That's What She Said link up.  Our lovely hosts - Dean from Mrs. AOK A work in Progress,  Courtney from What's Up with the Wilhelms, and Katy from Chaos and Kiddos choose a quote and every month on the 10th you can chime in with your thoughts and visit what others have to say about the quote.

This month's quote was too good to pass up.  It hits home on a topic that is near and dear to my heart and I tend to soapbox about a lot.




I am so tired of a world that holds outer beauty in such high regards.  We see it everyday.  We watch award shows where the big deal is the not the talent displayed, but what the actors are wearing.  And it isn't even just pointing out the positive things.  We pick on actresses for not having all their baby fat tucked away or for their baby bump they show off proudly (and should) not being in the type of dress that we deem perfect.

What is up with this?

Young girls are STARVING them selves so that their skin tight jeans will look like the models on the runway.  They are wearing shorts that are too short, shirts that show more skin than they cover, and more make-up than Bobo the Clown all in efforts to be "beautiful."

It is sickening.

And needs to stop.

The most beautiful women in the world have kind eyes and a warm smile.  They have the desire to take care of others.  They want to play with their children, bake a friend a cake, or help out however they can at a local charity.  The most beautiful women in the world have big hearts.

I have struggled with body image my entire life.  I always thought I was "fat" and pointed out my chunky thighs.  As I grew older, I started really carrying around extra baby weight and realized I should have enjoyed those "chunky thighs" then.  Now, I realize that it doesn't matter.  Sure, health needs to be a priority and healthy women are beautiful, but a little extra wobble on my thigh doesn't make me any less beautiful.

I am my most beautiful as I gingerly hang my daughter's diapers on the line.  Or when I play a board game on the floor with my children. You should see how beautiful I am when I hold the door open for people or help an elderly couple to their car.  I am down right smokin!  I can wear jeans and t-shirt with spot of baby drool on the shoulder to the library and look amazing as I read a book to my children.  Or when my messy apron covers those clothes as I cook dinner for family and friends.

And the best part is that I don't care if other woman look over and notice my jeans came from Kohl's and that my t-shirt is a few years old.  Who cares if my eyeliner is fading and my glasses are splotched with who-knows-what from the day.  I still feel wonderful.

All of those things make me happy and that makes me feel beautiful.

Yeah yeah.  It sounds selfish.  And maybe it is.  But being kind, working hard, and helping my children (even with Common Core math) makes me happy.  Speaking words of kindness and seeing the good in others makes me feel like the most beautiful woman in the world.  Even as I sit here in yoga pants, a Broncos shirt, a messy ponytail, and have Perry in my arms playing with her turtle, I am beautiful.

I am not sure Audrey Hepburn ever left the house in jeans and knit shirt, but if she had, she would have still been beautiful.  Her simple words urge people to not focus on the outside of our bodies, but on the inside of our minds.  Short of extensive cosmetic surgery and "beauty" regimens, there isn't a lot you can do with the genetics you were given when conceived. So why worry about them so much?  Why put all that time and money into "fixing" your nose?  It took me years, but I learned to love my butt chin.  Two of my daughters inherited it as well and I make it known that their chins add to their character and beauty.  It's a chin.  It sits on your face.  That's it.

So if you are having a down day - we all do- spice it up a little.  Make yourself feel beautiful.  Paint your nails or do your hair up (if you feel like it) and go out and spread kindness into the world.  Help out someone with too many grocery bags or tell a friend how much you love their laugh.  When I am having a bad day, I find that handing out a few compliments makes my day better.  It puts me in a good mood and when I am in a good mood I SMILE.  A smile shows kindness and kindness is your most beautiful asset.

2 comments:

  1. This is such a great post!!! You're right, I bet you're smokin' hot doing all the wonderful things you do with your children. Motherhood is SEXY dammit, I hate that as mothers we are sometimes made to feel as though we're just frumpy-dumpies. We're hot even when we're not hot. Kindness is the hottest on anyone! I try to wear kindness everyday ;) I guess that makes me a freakin' super model, modeling kindness♥ :)
    This post just displays your beauty, thanks for sharing with us!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for joining us for our first ever That's What She Said link up. I hope you will join us next month too.

    As a new mama to two sweet twin boys I loved reading your post! I particularly loved when you talked about being beautiful when doing seemingly everyday activities. Loved it!! I am going to think of that today as I wash bottles, change diapers, and survive our day! Thank you for that outlook.

    I am off to stalk you on social media now ;-)

    ReplyDelete